Thursday, June 4, 2009

Haircut City (the same)….down to a science

Our conversations are what you would call abbreviated when I go to have some hair cut off. “Hello”, he says with a sweeping arm gesture toward the chair where I need to sit. He puts on the neck strip and the cape on me as he decides how to word the question. There is a two second silence where I can hear him thinking.
“Same?”, he carefully words the question.
“Yes. Same please.”
There are no words past that ONE that need to be spoken. And it would be a struggle because his English is very limited and I speak no Korean. He works like a surgeon with the scissors and clippers. Using research and empirical data to formulate strategy like a scientist.
When we come to the end of the session, he poses another question to me
“Okaaay?”, meaning am I happy with it and is there anything else that we need to do here. I always am, and there never is.

No comments: